Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Countdown Begins!

27 days until we leave for the Big Island of Hawaii!

Well, we are also leaving for the BI in 5 days to secure a rental. We're going over for 3 nights and 2 full days, to look at some property and to check out a vacation rental I found, that is somewhat close to where I'll be working. The home is furnished, allows pets, and also is accomodating on a month to month rental. The amazing thing is, the house is owned by someone that teaches at the same school where I'll be working! I think the stars are aligned! :) We're going to stay at the Hilo Hawaiian for two nights, and then at the vacation rental for one night to see how we like it.

With travel time, that takes 4 days out of our packing time. We're going to take the bare minimum, especially if we'll be in a furnished home for awhile. A lot of our belongings we'll leave here in storage and ship later when we have a permanent place to live. I think we may leave our home here mostly furnished and try to rent it out as a vacation rental or, if it comes down to it, a longer rental. We have a friend in Arizona that may be interested in renting it. It's been on the market two weeks now with no interest at all so far. I'm pretty surprised by that. Although an offer or a buyer could come at any moment. I'm not going to stress about it. Okay, well maybe I am, just a little. :)

I just found out that I have to be in Honolulu for orientation on the morning of July 21st for three days. That doesn't give me much time to acclimate. I was hoping the orientation would be local. I'm looking forward to meeting my team and everyone else I'll be working with though. It should be fun!

I still have to finish packing up my classroom today and squeeze in two doctor's appointments. I'm trying to get all my medical, dental, hair etc appointments done before I leave, as I know it will take some time to find replacements for all those professionals.

I'm feeling a little anxious about coordinating everything - the dogs, the cars, the house here AND there, packing and storing. I know it will all fall into place though and I'll FINALLY be warm! (It's about 58 degrees here today for a high!!! It's the middle of June people!!!)

Aloha!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Beth,

So.. How are things? When are you all arriving? James and I are loving it here, it's great. Can't wait to meet up and get started at school.

Did you find a place to rent? We are staying at a place (kinda sketchy) on Banyan Dr. until Aug 15th. We are looking for places to rent but nothing set just yet.

We are off to find a car.

see you soon,
Jen

Beth said...

Hi Jen,

I'm glad you're loving it there. We've stayed on Banyan Dr. in a condo hotel and yes, it WAS a little sketchy.

We are going to be staying in a furnished vacation rental in Volcano for the first 5 days and maybe until September. We've found another house we think we are going to love in Ninole, but it won't be available until Sept. 5th. It will be a long drive about 40 minutes each way to Mountain View, but I'm willing to sacrifice - at least for a school year. Hopefully, they'll open up a program in Hilo next year or closer to where we want to live. We're also going to be looking at a house in Mountain View that is about a 5-10 minute drive to the school, is listed for sale, but she also wants to rent it. I'll let you know about that one if we don't take it. It looks really nice.

It's so much easier to find rentals when you're actually there.

I'm going a little nuts right now. We're leaving Tuesday morning and I still have so much packing to do. We're having a garage sale tomorrow from 8 - 12. I hope we can unload a lot of our stuff. Tim just left to drive almost an hour to a Fedex to ship 10 boxes. We'll ship another 10 tomorrow, and probably 10 more on Monday. He gets 75% off Fedex shipping as a perk with his job, but we can only send 10 boxes a day. I've whittled it down to 6 classroom boxes, which I don't even know if I'll need. I'm not sure if I should bring my classroom computer, printer etc. - There are so many unknowns - not good for a control freak. :)

Our house still isn't sold, so we are leaving all the furniture, the paintings on the wall, the bathrooms decorated etc. because we have nowhere to put anything, and I want the house staged to look like a model home. I think it shows much better that way. A lot of our belongings we will leave in storage here until we have a home to put them in there. Tim can fly back and forth very cheaply with his airline job, so he will come back in a couple of weeks and check on everything, mow the lawn etc.

We delivered my car to Horizon Wednesday to be shipped on Sunday. We're leaving Tim's little truck here and will ship it later. We'll get a rental car until my car shows up on the 23rd.

Have you found out our flight schedule to HNL yet? I haven't heard anything. It would be nice to go Sunday night so we don't have to get up so darn early for a flight to HNL Monday morning. I can't imagine getting up around 4:00 to catch a 6:45 flight to HNL, getting to a meeting at 8:00 and then being chirper and perky all day! :) I'm not a morning person and I don't drink coffee - not a good combination. I'll probably be going on sheer adrenaline.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Back to packing . . .